Buxton is a small, progressive and diverse boarding and day college preparatory school nestled in the Berkshire Hills of western Massachusetts. For the past 90 years, our faculty and staff have delighted in welcoming students to our egalitarian community to inspire and nurture their academic, artistic and social growth.
Our students are:
- Challenged to participate fully and meaningfully in their academic pursuits
- Called to create an authentic intellectual culture both in and out of the classroom
- Encouraged to immerse themselves in creative activity
- Expected to live a conscious, responsible life in the context of a receptive and responsive community
- Asked to contribute their ideas, energy and labor to the care and maintenance of the school
As articulated by our founder in 1928 and unchanged today, our core beliefs are:
- That education should be the process of learning how to live fully as an individual and effectively in the social world
- That the child can develop into an adult who knows how to live only by first living fully and effectively as a child
- That to do so, the school must provide challenges and outlets for all of his or her potentialities
The Buxton student – and the Buxton experience – is like no other. We welcome diversity in all facets and believe that people thrive when differences are honored. We encourage our students to engage not just with each other but also with the world beyond our doors. We believe that young people can be trusted to live lives that are balanced, ethical and productive. We maintain that academic pursuits are a valid and just asset of a vibrant life.
Buxton on Instagram
Founded in 1928, Buxton is a small, progressive, four-year college-preparatory boarding and day school in Western Massachusetts.
"Buxton has given me the freedom to be the person I want to be, make the art I want to make, and learn the things I want to learn. At Buxton we learn not only in the classroom, but in the community. We learn how to be good to each other and how to support each other. Buxton has so much to offer students, both inside the classroom and outside of it."
“At Buxton you get to focus on what you want to be learning; whether it is social skills or in-depth studying- you learn to take responsibility of your education.”
“Living your education means to not only learn things, but to use what you learn in your everyday life.”
“To me, living your education means to be independent, to take charge, to not be afraid of asking for help, to learn from your peers, to love to learn, to take what you have learned from a loving environment and take it into the world.”
“Your education is more than just your time in class, it’s your life as a whole. Learning is not limited to a teacher teaching you something in a classroom.”
“To me, at Buxton, it’s not boundaries that you make, but the ones you break through.”
“At Buxton, I can choose what I want to do with my education. I can design my own path and invest my time studying topics that I’m really interested in.”
“At Buxton you can experience your intellectual development in a community that accepts your perspective of the world.”
“I felt instantly at home when I stepped on the campus. At Buxton, we are in school 24/7. We learn things in the classroom, but we really learn valuable things outside of the classroom. We learn how to work with others and respect each other’s spaces. Our education surrounds us and we learn new things everyday.”
“I chose Buxton over public school because I think I function better in a smaller environment. You’re able to get to know students and faculty on a deeper level, which is rare.”