Buxton School is looking for an energetic, enthusiastic, and experienced admissions professional
to oversee and manage the admissions process for a small progressive boarding and day high
school in Western Massachusetts.
For almost 100 years, Buxton has been a leading exemplar of progressive education at its best.
On its 114-acre campus, students learn how to live within a diverse group of fellow teenagers,
contribute meaningfully to their community, find and/or sustain and expand their creative
capacities, and reach their intellectual potential. In a student body that ranges from 60 to 90
students, young people at Buxton find their purpose, their voice, and their passions. Virtually 100
percent of Buxton students go on to excellent liberal arts colleges, and from there they become
movers and shakers in their chosen fields.
We need an admission director who is ready to tout the Buxton educational philosophy far and
wide. Now more than ever, Buxton’s mission to educate young people humanely and in the
context of community is needed and necessary. Our recent decision to opt out of smartphone use
on our campus is a vivid example of how Buxton is a leader in creating an environment that
promotes participation and presence; already we see other schools trying to catch up to our
The Director of Admissions will oversee a small office of dedicated admissions professionals.
The Director will be charged with expanding Buxton’s presence in the boarding school
landscape and attracting a larger cohort of applicants to Buxton each year. The Director will
work closely with the school’s communications manager, the school’s leadership, and the board
of directors to hone Buxton’s messaging and create a strategy for growth in inquiries,
applications, and enrollment.
Duties & Responsibilities include (but are not necessarily limited to):
• Overseeing the “admissions funnel” from start to finish
• Overseeing the school’s financial-aid process
• Identifying key feeder schools and creating or maintaining positive relationships with each
• Traveling to promote the school
• Strategizing about messaging and working with the communications manager to enact the
• Working closely with the school’s leadership to enhance admissions operations
• Working with the board and the school’s alums to expand and enhance our outreach to families,
consultants, and feeder schools
• Planning admissions visits for prospective families, including conducting interviews
• Planning and running open houses, revisit days, and other admissions events
• Running the admissions office and making sure data is well maintained
• Reporting to the board of directors four times/year
What we are looking for in a candidate:
• Familiarity and, if possible, experience with progressive education
• Experience with boarding schools, particularly small boarding schools
• Great communication and people skills
• Good rapport with young people
• A self-starter who is comfortable working in a small shop
Buxton is an equal opportunity employer. The salary for this position is competitive and our
benefits are excellent. If you are interested, please send a cover letter and resume to our senior
director, Franny Shuker-Haines at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will begin reviewing
applications immediately with the hope that we will fill the position by mid-June.