Parent Newsletter by Franny Shuker-Haines
Dear Buxton Families,
Good morning! I wanted to give you all a recap from last week, as well as a few updates on classes and activities.
First, the recap:
- Classes got off to a great start. Attendance has been good and the kids’ internet connections have been strong. We are impressed by how well Zoom is holding up, even with large groups.
- All of the students have signed into their new @buxtonschool.org email accounts. Please remind your kids to check that email every day!
- Buxton set up a Buxton School Discord! This is very similar to Slack, but has a less “business-y” vibe. We will be using Discord to post announcements, share memes, and just “hang out” together. (If your child has not yet signed up for it, have them get in touch with Lindsey, John, or Derek for the link.)
- We had our first Wednesday afternoon general “help” session. A reminder that every Wednesday at 2:00 EDT, all teachers are available for questions, help, check-ins, etc. Parents can also take advantage of this time!
- On Wednesday night at 7:30, we had our first parent get-together via Zoom. We’ll do that again this week. Here’s the invitation:
Franny Shuker-Haines is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Topic: Buxton Parent Get-Together
Time: This is a recurring meeting Meet anytime
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 793 0673 6062
- We had our first Zoom birthday parties this week! We also celebrated a Buxton tradition called Juicemas on Friday: lots of kids and their odd juices were there.
- Rec. Committee hosted its first distance Friday night activity, with an online Pictionary-type of game. They plan to host something every Friday night. Go, Rec. Committee!
- We had our first senior service on Sunday at 7:00. We will continue this tradition every Sunday.
Now some announcements and changes:
- Exploring Anthropology, taught by Nyasha, will begin today! It was originally scheduled to start on the 20th, but both students and teacher are raring to go!
- Greg’s culinary logistics class is also starting. The first class will be next Wednesday 4/15 at 1:00 P.M. EDT.
- Starting on Monday 4/13, announcements will no longer be sent to students’ personal email accounts. They will be sent to the kids’ Buxton student accounts and will also be posted to the Buxton Discord.
- Activities and “study halls” are getting up and running. Here is a tentative schedule for this week:
3:00 — Math Team
8:00 — Algebra II help
Ongoing and to be scheduled with individual students — report conferences
3:00 — Knitting club
7:00 — Physics Help
7:00 — Chemistry Help
8:00 — Game night with Adrian
3:00 — Folk-singing check-in
3:45 — video journaling check-in
7:00 — PoC Union Meeting
3:00 — Science of Well-Being with David
4:00 — Movement Club
8:00 — Math help with Adrian and Micah
3:00 — Bog Club
7:00 — Rec. Committee
Okay, that may be enough info for now. I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.
All the best,